The AIP Food List
- Vegetables to Enjoy: squash, artichoke, arugula, asparagus, avocado, beets, bok choy, broccoli, broccolini, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celeriac, celery, chard, chayote, collards, cucumber, daikon, delicata squash, endive, fennel, garlic, ginger, greens, Jerusalem artichokes, jicama, kabocha squash, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, nopales, okra, olives (pimento-free), onions, parsnips, plantain, pumpkin, radicchio, radish, rapini, rhubarb, rutabaga, salsify, scallions, seaweed, spaghetti squash, spinach, summer squash, sweet potato, taro, turnip, yuca and zucchini.
Meat, Poultry and Fish:
- All meat: lamb, beef, pork, kangaroo, venison, rabbit, etc.
- Including organ meats: heart, liver, kidney, etc.
- All Poultry e.g. duck, quail, chicken, etc.
- All Seafood e.g. fish of all types, prawns, crab, oysters etc. – Australian seafood is some of the best quality in the world so if you can eat it a few times a week all power to you!
- Animal fats e.g. lard, duck etc.
- Unrefined oils e.g. extra virgin olive, coconut, avocado oil etc.
Herbs and Spices:
- All Herbs: parsley, oregano, chives, mint, basil, bay leaf, rosemary, sage, thyme, etc.
- Spices: cinnamon, clove, garlic, ginger, horseradish, mace, saffron, pink or sea salt, and turmeric.
Basil Leaf, Bay Leaf, Chamomile, Chervil, Chives, Cilantro, Cinnamon, Cloves, Curry Leaf (not the powdered curry blend), Dill Weed, Fennel Leaf, Fenugreek Leaves, Garlic, Ginger, Horseradish, Kaffir Lime Leaf, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Lemongrass Mace, Marjoram Leaf, Onion Powder, Oregano Leaf, Parsley, Peppermint, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savoury Leaf, Pink or Sea Salt, Shallots, Spearmint, Tarragon, Thyme, Truffle Salt, Turmeric, Vanilla, Wasabi
- Enjoy all Coconut Products: fresh coconut, pure coconut milk, dried coconut (unsweetened), coconut flour, coconut butter, unrefined coconut oil, and coconut aminos.
- Water: pure clean water, we use a reverse osmosis system which removes lots of nasties including chlorine and fluoride and revitalises and re-mineralises the water.
- Herbal tea: check the ingredient list to be sure it doesn’t contain soy lecithin, gluten or other additives. Be cautious of herbs that stimulate the immune system. Two AIP-friendly herbal teas are Rooibos and Honeybush
- Fermented Beverages: Kombucha, water kefir, and beet kvass. Check labels carefully for sugar content and added ingredients. You’ll save a lot of money if you make these yourself as it easy to do.
- Fruit: All fruit is allowed on the AIP, but limit servings to 2-3 per day, however, Goji berries are a nightshade & need to be avoided.
- Freshly juiced vegetables and fruit: Some people juice to get extra nutrients into their diet, but juicing too much can actually cause health problems. Limit to 1 cup per day, choose a higher ratio of vegetables to fruit and drink alongside a meal with plenty of fat and protein.
- Flours: arrowroot powder, cassava flour, coconut flour, plantain flour, sweet potato flour, tapioca starch and tiger nut flour.
- Natural Sweeteners: raw honey, fruit juice, dried fruit, date sugar, maple syrup & sugar, molasses, evaporated cane juice, suscanat and carob powder.
- Caffeine: black/green/white tea. rooibos and yerba mate. If you suffer from adrenal fatigue avoid all caffeine.
Foods to avoid:
Vegetables to Avoid:
- Nightshades, potatoes, tomatoes, tomatillos, bell peppers, hot peppers, pimentos, pepino’s, tamarillos, eggplant and “ground cherries”.
- Dried legumes: peanuts, black beans, chickpeas, lentils, pinto beans, etc.
- Corn: it’s actually a grain.
- For people with Hashimoto’s disease, the thyroid-goitrogenic vegetable connection has not been proven; if you want to be extra cautious, eat these cooked instead of raw.
Grey Area Veggies:
- Although fresh peas and green beans are technically legumes, they are not known to cause the digestive problems of the dried varieties. They are however eliminated on the AIP as a precaution but are one of the first foods recommended for reintroduction.
Spices to Avoid:
- Nightshades: cayenne, chilli powder, paprika, red pepper, curry, and spice blends that contain these nightshade spices.
- Seeds: anise seed, annatto, celery seed, coriander, cumin, fennel, fenugreek, mustard, nutmeg, poppy seed, and sesame seed.
- Fruits: allspice, star anise, caraway, cardamom, juniper, peppercorns, sumac, and vanilla bean (alcohol-free vanilla is acceptable)
Learn more in my free start-up guide ebook and commence your metamorphosis today! Download Now
Yours in Health & Harmony,